Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
EdgeWise can take in a variety of scan file types. However, certain scan file types are limited to specific automated processes in EdgeWise. This article defines the different scan file types that EdgeWise can take and the makeup of those file types.
Structured Data or non-unified data records individual scan locations (where the scanner was in 3D space) to the file.
Unstructured data or Unified data combines all the scans into one individual scan file.
As a general rule, when working with these file formats it is possible to go from Structured data to Unstructured data, but not in reverse.
EdgeWise primarily uses structured data. The Automated pipe extraction can only run on a structured data format, while automated wall extraction supports unstructured data. Point Cloud databases can still be created using any data format. Data format types have no effect on the semi-automated tools.
File that are proprietary and can only be read by certain applications. These are usually the best choice when working with EdgeWise since they do not regularly change and are structured data formats.
- Trimble: .tzf
- FARO: .fls
- Leica: .PTG
- Z+F: .zfs and .zfprj
- DotProduct: .DP
- Gexcel: .rgp
- AutoDesk: Non Unified Recap project (.RCP)
Files that almost every point cloud viewing software can export or import. The main issue that different programs tend to slightly tweak the exported file which can cause issues with the file reader.
- ASCII file which takes more space to represent same amount of information
- Can contain multiple coordinate systems, usually a local coordinate system and a global coordinate
- Always will be structured
- Can have multiple PTX files per scan location, or one large one for the whole project
- Can be structured or not structured – usually the structured versions are significantly larger file size than the unstructured ones
- Can either have one e57 file for the whole project that contains data for multiple scan locations or have each scan location recorded as one e57 file
The below file formats are all unstructured, meaning no information about where the scanner is in the scan is recorded. Pretty much every point cloud software can import / export the below file types.
.PTS / .XYZ
- Exported by multiple programs
- ASCII file which takes more space to represent same amount of information.
- Unstructured variant of e57
- significantly smaller the structured variant.